The normal sequence for joining the Club from the Council Partnership Lessons is as follows:
Council Lessons – Sharks – Silver Squad – Junior Squad – Future Squad – Development (Senior) Squad. You could move into the Performance Squad when the required criteria was achieved and agreed by the coach. Club Squad is only after you have been in Development/Seniors or Performance for a period of time and you cannot meet that squads criteria.
Squad Structure & Criteria - Criteria Update from February 1st 2014
Council Partnership Lessons from age 4 for non swimmers working on ASA Duckling Awards, ASA Grades 1-5 and ASA Levels 5-7.
Sharks must have Grade 5 & Level 7 and work towards Level 8 & 9, and will complete their Bronze Challenge, and a 400m swim 100m front crawl and 300m backstroke. Cost is by monthly fee (which includes membership fee and is paid to the Club via the Council) see separate notice of charges
Silver Squad – Swimmers must have Level 8 & 9, they will complete their Silver Challenge and front crawl stroke award, Grade 6 & Levels 10 &11. Cost is by monthly squad fee plus annual membership of club see separate notice of charges
Junior Squad – Swimmers must have Bronze and Silver Challenge, Front Crawl Stroke award and Level 11. they will work towards Level 12, on Breast, Fly & Back Stroke awards, IM Test, Competitive Start Award, their Gold Challenge and 8 x 100 freestyle test (swum in 2.30 or faster going every 3 minutes). All these must be completed to move into Future Squad. Start to use Swimmers Log Book. Expected to attend Open Meets recommended by Coach. May be selected to swim for Club in Galas. Cost is by monthly squad fee plus annual membership of club see separate notice of charges.
Future Squad – Swimmers will swim all 4 strokes and drills correctly, using continuous bilateral breathing on front crawl. Use Swimmers Log Book. May be selected to swim for Club in Galas. Expected to attend Open Meets recommended by Coach. Cost is by monthly squad fee plus annual membership of club, see separate notice of charges.
Development/Senior & Performance Squad – Swimmers will train using correct turns, breathing every three strokes on freestyle, using correct strokes and drills and have a positive attitude, they will not miss their take off times nor answer the coaching staff back. Expected to attend Open Meets recommended by Coach. May be selected to swim for Club in Galas. Will use and complete Swimmers Log Books.
Development/Senior Squad –For swimmers moving from Future at the recommendation of the coach. The following criteria must be followed:
Performance Squad – Swimmers will be invited to join this squad by the Coach, in September of each year they must have achieved a County Qualifying Time for the following year, (i.e. in September 2014 they must have a 2015 CQT), and they will train for a minimum of 9 hours a week with the Club. You should use the IM spin turn.
- If you are in your first year in Performance you must do at least one early morning session a week on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday.
- From your second year onwards, you must do at least one early morning Specialist session on a Tuesday or Thursday. The coach will tell you which one to do that will benefit your training most. You must enter at least one event at the summer, Long Distance & Winter Champs.
- If you have previously achieved a Midland qualifying time/s, you must achieve at least one qualifying time the next year to keep your place in the squad. Each swimmer will be given their own personal aim chart and their target times will be based on both their personal best and the Midland qualifying times. They will be expected to achieve these targets or swim in an alternate squad.
Club Squad: If after being in Development/Seniors or Performance for a period of time, you may find that you cannot meet all of the criteria for the squad you are in, for one reason or another. In this instance and after consideration from the Coach this may be the squad for you.
• In Club Squad there is less pressure than the main competitive squads of Performance, Development/Seniors but you will still be expected to train using the correct turns, do your drills correctly and have a positive attitude. You will not miss your take off times nor answer the coaching staff back.
• There is no minimum amount of training hours.
• You may also be selected to swim for the Club in Galas, Open Meets, Fenland League and Anglian League, but there will be no pressure to do so.
• You may go back into Performance, Development/Seniors at the recommendation of the Coach.
Cost for these squads is by monthly squad fee plus annual membership of club, see separate notice of charges.
Masters – minimum age for Masters is 14. May be selected to swim for Club in Galas This squad will be for older swimmers who no longer wish to breathe bilateral or do turns in the required manner as in the other Squads, and in the view of the coach the training would be better for them than Development, Seniors and Performance and for Adult Swimmers and will be a more relaxed training session.
Cost by monthly squad fee or on a pay as you swim basis plus annual membership of club, see separate notice of charges.
“Please remember that the squad criteria is there to set a high standard of competitive swimming that you already meet, otherwise you wouldn’t be there. Be motivated, successful and enjoy your achievements.”